The Rehabilitation Medicine Clinic provides holistic treatment that integrates both physical and psychological issues in order to facilitate timely and optimal recovery. Consistent with that philosophy is the presence of a fully licensed Psychologist on our interdisciplinary Rehabilitation team. Our psychologist provides individualized psychological and neuropsychological services, based on the integration of a patient's strengths, weaknesses, values, and expectations. The overall goal is to assist each person in maximizing their level of functioning, minimize disability and increase self-esteem. We believe that good rehabilitation is about thriving, not just surviving.
- Acquired brain injury (TBI, Strokes, MS)
- ADD/ADHD assessment/treatment
- Chronic Pain Management
- Cross-cultural adjustment problems
- Cross-cultural neuropsychological assessment
- Cross-cultural psychological evaluation
- Dementia/Alzheimer evaluation
- Learning Disability
- Personality Disorders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Rehabilitation psychology
- Stress Management/relaxation
- Pain Management Group
- Hypnosis for improving mental efficiency and pain management
- Neuro-cognitive therapy
Methods of Treatment
- Brief psychological assessment to develop treatment goals and plan.
- Comprehensive psychological and/or neuropsychological assessment when indicated or requested by referral source.
- Long-term or time-limited individual/family treatment that may include:
- Individual/Family counseling
- Grief and loss counseling
- Brain injury education
- Family education
- Adjustment counseling
- Crisis intervention counseling
- Neurocognitive retraining
Expected Benefits of Treatment
- Decrease disability and or illness related depressive symptoms.
- Decrease disability and or illness related anxiety
- Increased self-esteem.
- Increased adherence to medical treatment protocols.
- Increased ability to live fully despite illness/disability.
- Reduced frequency of symptomatic flare-ups.
- Increased satisfaction with life situation
- Develop a positive self-concept.
- Learn more effective strategies for controlling pain
- Facilitate return to or assist patients with a disability in maintaining gainful employment.